X's disappearing

Re: X's disappearing

Message par frederic.moulis » 11 Avr 2019 12:28

Volker B a écrit :Similar here. If I play slowly, i.e. wait for the "Grid modification ok" message before placing the next X, I don't lose any X. If I X a whole column as fast as I can, I still see 8 "OK" messages, but some of the X are lost after refrehing the page. It seems that a slow network increases the number of losses.

That's a f...ing good info !
It's probably linked to the server lags...
I can try a fix that prevents from clicking too fast... but it will prevent you from updating your table quickly (but it will be well updated :) )
frederic.moulis
Premium
Premium

Message(s) : 3513

Message par jouons » 11 Avr 2019 13:25

Another solution would be to gather all the info of the table and send it once, instead of sending each click.

After each click you wait 20 s then you send the data.

Sometimes I'm logged out while playing so a message to log in again would be welcome.
jouons

Message(s) : 427

Message par frederic.moulis » 11 Avr 2019 13:33

definitely : no
what if you click, and close the page before the 20s delay ?

so another solution would be to add a "validate my table" button that will appear as soon as you have done at least one click. if you do not click on that button, then your modifications will not be taken into account.

it will modify the behaviour though, so many players will probably be confused
frederic.moulis
Premium
Premium

Message par ConFol » 14 Avr 2019 11:49

Another solution might be to send the whole table (as known by the client) on every update? Should be able to encode it all into a couple of DWORDS ;), maybe three if you include the private info on the theory board.

ConFol
ConFol
Premium
Premium

Message(s) : 8

Message par frederic.moulis » 14 Avr 2019 12:18

yes I had also thought about it
probably the best solution
frederic.moulis
Premium
Premium

Message par jouons » 14 Avr 2019 15:58

Currently sending a request after each click doesn't work because the server has too much to handle.
I think sending the whole table after each click won't fix the issue.

Maybe 20 s is too much, but wait 5 or 10 after last click then send it, with a visible discrete info under the table, and check it's well received.

Google docs does that.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/422 ... -on-key-up
jouons

Message(s) : 427

Message par ConFol » 15 Avr 2019 9:01

jouons: Changing the protocol to send the whole table each time, instead of individual Xs, might solve the problem. If it doesn't, that change will be necessary anyway as part of your suggestion of implementing a delayed submit. So I suggest starting with "whole table each time" and seeing if that solves the problem, before making the larger changes required for delayed submit.
ConFol
Premium
Premium

Message par frederic.moulis » 15 Avr 2019 9:37

jouons : that does not fix anything. The problem I mentioned above is exactly the same.
sending the whole grid each time will fix the issue as described for now. If it is not enough, I will change the behaviour, but that will clearly not be a delayed automatic request
frederic.moulis
Premium
Premium

Message par frederic.moulis » 15 Avr 2019 10:07

new fix(?) done
tell me if it's enough
frederic.moulis
Premium
Premium

Message par ConFol » 17 Avr 2019 12:52

Great, thanks, will keep an eye on it over the next few days.
ConFol
Premium
Premium

Message par Volker B » 18 Avr 2019 12:09

It's much better now but still not ok.
Again, I X'ed a whole column. In most cases it works as expected: 8 X in the GUI, 8 "OK" messages, and a reload didn't change anything.
In some cases I got 8 "OK" messages, but one or two X are missing in the GUI. After a reload the GUI had the same state.
In rare cases the GUI lost some X's, and after a reload some more X were lost. In one of these cases I experienced a lag in the appearance of the "OK" messages (some seconds). Unfortunately, I can't tell if this was the case the other times, too, and I wasn't able to reproduce it again, yet.
Volker B
Premium
Premium

Message(s) : 60

Message par frederic.moulis » 18 Avr 2019 13:16

Arf. Sh*t
Hard to analyse, because I've not been able until now to reproduce this.
I'll try to find some time to work again on this
frederic.moulis
Premium
Premium

Message par Volker B » 18 Avr 2019 20:33

I did some more tests here. My computer is connected to DSL via WiFi. In this configuration some X's were lost in the GUI but none on the server. Then I added an in-band repeater to the Wifi connection. The numer of GUI losses increased afterwards but still no losses on the server. In one case (out of at least 50) I experienced a huge lag. I was able to click a whole column without any X or "OK" message appearing before I made the 8th click. They came later, with some seconds delay. In this case I had some server losses, too.
Volker B
Premium
Premium

Message par Volker B » 15 Mai 2019 8:39

This may be related: In game #23122 I did my last move in round 1 (mix a potion). I confirmed, it took a while, and then I was asked to do the same again. I'm sure I did not press the restart button. I did it again, and after confirming there was a message in red "Your move is not valid..." (couldn't read the rest, it disappeared too fast). The game is ok, my move was accepted, probably already in my first try.
Volker B
Premium
Premium

Message par frederic.moulis » 15 Mai 2019 9:11

Volker B a écrit :This may be related: In game #23122 I did my last move in round 1 (mix a potion). I confirmed, it took a while, and then I was asked to do the same again. I'm sure I did not press the restart button. I did it again, and after confirming there was a message in red "Your move is not valid..." (couldn't read the rest, it disappeared too fast). The game is ok, my move was accepted, probably already in my first try.

This can happen in every game, it is probably due to some server overload.
The "X's disappearing" thing may have the same origin, but I'm not sure, and did not have the time to work on it yet.
One problem is : it never occurs to me. But I'm still thinking about it
frederic.moulis
Premium
Premium

PrécédentSuivant

Retour vers Alchemists