Winners with Military strategy?

Modérateur: diplojak

Winners with Military strategy?

Message par petyr » 24 Jan 2017 17:48

Could you please give me some links to games where the winner won due to Military strategy mostly? Under "Military strategy" I mean placing no less than 4 legionnaires in provinces and possibly fighting in Senate for "+2 VP for each legionnaire" bonus tile.

On one hand, I see that Military is not a simple action to take: you either move your Warlord and gather tiles or put your legionnaires and gain VP. Building strategy is comparatively easier: you take tiles and gain VP (and extra actions sometimes). (But less VP for a building than for a province.) On the other hand, I don't doubt the game was tested well, and Military action was tested no less than others. It just seems to be rather complex, and any other player can intervene in your big conquer plans. So the question is: in what games the Military action (and playing with preferring it) shows best results? For 2 players? 3? 4?
"Life is but a game" ("La vie n'est qu'un jeu"). What kind of game is your life?

And I'll never play games with 30 day limit again!
petyr
Premium
Premium

Message(s) : 134

Re: Winners with Military strategy?

Message par teddog12 » 06 Fév 2017 6:41

Hi Petyr,

I see no one else has responded, so I'll add my two cents worth: You won't find many examples, if any, of what you seek. For the very reasons you outline, the military strategy is almost never chosen, esp. in a 4-player game. Building is soooo much more potent, due to the extra actions available, and the fact that you place a worker in camp, then move onto the building matrix -- only two moves to get a result. With military, you have to place a worker in camp, move your general, and then place the legion onto the space to get VPs. Yeah, you sometimes get a bonus for the forum tile in the province, but that's not nearly as good as getting a free action, which if you plan correctly, is often two actions when you have the +2 marker in place. And in a 4-player game, good luck getting your legion into two of the 10 pt provinces first.

All in all, in almost every one of my games (both on-line and live, over 100), I've seen maybe once where mil strategy was a player's primary vehicle to victory. Secondary, yes, that's often done, but not primary.

Let us know if you find significant evidence to the contrary, thanks!

Jim
teddog12

Message(s) : 32

Message par chicagometh » 06 Fév 2017 15:38

One thing I have learned about Feld games is that using a particular strategy of any type is a great way to lose...As soon as you decide to go all Senate bonuses, the senate tiles will be gone or if you see an easy way to build to get 3 of a type, somebody will swoop in and block you. Better is to play totally tactical and be opportunistic. In Trajan, I never decide from the outset to play one way or the other...I simply take the best move available with the current knowledge I have hedging my bet against a long term payoff. Sure, there are things that are more likely to pay off or give you more points (9 pt. tiles, senate bonus actions, capitalizing on military, building 3 of a type), but planning for them is silly. Even better is to see what your opponents are ignoring and start taking up the scraps because those things will have the highest likelihood of paying off in the long run.
chicagometh

Message(s) : 3

Message par petyr » 21 Fév 2017 19:37

Well, I used Military strategy here: http://boiteajeux.net/jeux/trj/partie.php?id=51498 and won. With +20 from Building also, and some Senate. But all scores are not good ones, not even near 150.

Okay, really we have to talk about "complex", or "composite" strategies, because we cannot act in only one field due to the mancala game engine. In that game I used "Military + Building", in other game I used "Military + Senate", for instance. And sometimes it's even hard to tell which strategy was the primary one. So my question transforms into the following: what disadvantages has Military as a part of a player's strategy?
"Life is but a game" ("La vie n'est qu'un jeu"). What kind of game is your life?

And I'll never play games with 30 day limit again!
petyr
Premium
Premium

Message(s) : 134

Message par pitchfork » 08 Sep 2017 12:10

I think the military action is a good utility action to get tiles you need for payment or want to use elsewhere. Placing at least one 10 point meeple is nice. I've never tried to focus on military but it does provide a good secondary route way to getting that tile you want.

Its the equivalent of the Notre Dame Park card. Nobodies first choice but it might just get you that coin or single rat kill that you need. :-) The game would be poorer without it (I think the Park might be boosted a little in the new edition)
pitchfork

Message(s) : 13

Retour vers Trajan