First player advantage

Modérateur: diplojak

First player advantage

Message par guustavf » 02 Mai 2018 17:50

Am I right to think that in a 4 player game, going last is a big disadvantage?
Or is it that going first is an advantage?
There seems to be nothing in the set up to give compensation.
Has anyone any thoughts?
guustavf
Premium
Premium

Message(s) : 1

Re: First player advantage

Message par petyr » 03 Mai 2018 11:42

Essentially yes, but remember that forum renews each quarter, so being the 4th player in the first quarter, you need to take what remains on the board and try to become first on the next quarter.
"Life is but a game" ("La vie n'est qu'un jeu"). What kind of game is your life?

And I'll never play games with 30 day limit again!
petyr
Premium
Premium

Message(s) : 149

Message par PistolStar » 03 Mai 2018 13:15

I also strongly believe that the first player (regardless of the player count) has on average a clear advantage. The more players the bigger the advantage would be in my eyes.
Last player would have the biggest disadvantage therefore. Not only will all the good stuff be gone by the start of the turn of the 4th player...the 4th player is also extremely likely to overall have 1 turn less than at least one other player (which is obviously a huge disadvantage aswell)
Of course players can manipulate the game length a little bit. But in a 4 player game that ability decreases to only 25% per player. So the 4th player won't have much control at all to ensure she/he gets the same amount of turns as everybody else.

Because of these reasons I prefer this game to be played as a 2 player game. As a player you will have more control (over the speed of the game) and being last player is by far not as disastrous as in a 3 or 4 player game.

I think at the start of a game there should be a specific amount of victory points given to the 2nd player, 3rd player and 4th player.

Actually there is a thread on boardgamegeek.com about this topic. Here is the link. It even has many stats included from boiteajeux.net.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/105217 ... and-how-fi

The conclusion was that it was most fair to give these amounts of points to each player at the start of the game:

For a 2-player game, the second player starts with 3 points.
For a 3-player game, the second and third players start with 3 and 5 points, respectively.
For a 4-player game, the second, third, and fourth players start with 2, 4, and 5 points, respectively.

Maybe one day we will have the option to play this variant on boiteajeux.net. I would definitely welcome the option to play this variant.
PistolStar

Message(s) : 24

Message par mjt » 03 Mai 2018 23:34

Hi there - Thought I would add one thought to this, that I didn't see come up yet: The turns spent to acquire the 1st player rights may themselves be weaker, especially in 3/4p games where a senate tile is not guaranteed. For example, many actions yield on average 4-5 points, whereas taking the senate action generally is only yielding 2, 3, then 4 points. You would need to reach spot #6 just to average 4 points per turn. Using a turn to achieve a senate vote tile (the purple ones) does not give any other ancillary benefit such as fulfilling a demand (green chits), extra turns (gold chits), or bonuses in the worker camp (red chits).

Not sure, however, how the first player advantage compares against this action economy disadvantage. Food for thought.
mjt

Message(s) : 2

Message par Meamer » 04 Mai 2018 15:13

mjt a écrit :Hi there - Thought I would add one thought to this, that I didn't see come up yet: The turns spent to acquire the 1st player rights may themselves be weaker, especially in 3/4p games where a senate tile is not guaranteed. For example, many actions yield on average 4-5 points, whereas taking the senate action generally is only yielding 2, 3, then 4 points. You would need to reach spot #6 just to average 4 points per turn. Using a turn to achieve a senate vote tile (the purple ones) does not give any other ancillary benefit such as fulfilling a demand (green chits), extra turns (gold chits), or bonuses in the worker camp (red chits).

Not sure, however, how the first player advantage compares against this action economy disadvantage. Food for thought.

I'm confused, what does the Senate track have to do with gaining first player rights?
Meamer
Premium
Premium

Message(s) : 9

Message par petyr » 05 Mai 2018 8:39

PistolStar a écrit :Actually there is a thread on boardgamegeek.com about this topic. Here is the link. It even has many stats included from boiteajeux.net.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/105217 ... and-how-fi

The conclusion was that it was most fair to give these amounts of points to each player at the start of the game:

For a 2-player game, the second player starts with 3 points.
For a 3-player game, the second and third players start with 3 and 5 points, respectively.
For a 4-player game, the second, third, and fourth players start with 2, 4, and 5 points, respectively.

Maybe one day we will have the option to play this variant on boiteajeux.net. I would definitely welcome the option to play this variant.

No, the portal sticks to the official rules as they are in the gamebox. And I doubt that there will be another issue with such amendments.
"Life is but a game" ("La vie n'est qu'un jeu"). What kind of game is your life?

And I'll never play games with 30 day limit again!
petyr
Premium
Premium

Message(s) : 149

Retour vers Trajan