Date format on games

for discussions in english about the portal.

Modérateurs : lynkowsky, minervois, diplojak, Piano, Crevette

Règles du forum
this forum is for announcements and general discussions about boiteajeux, in english. To discuss about a specific game, you can post in english in the forum of this game.

Date format on games

Message par svearike » 10 Juin 2019 6:48

There has been no activity ib any of my games for a few days, so I decided to check the dates for time-out. One of them had time-out on the 7th of May 2019 - then the penny dropped: it was 07/05/2019, which, in the American manner of giving the date is the 5th of July 2019. Most countries use the notation day/month/year for dates and it is only the US that uses the month/day/year format (at least that is my understanding). So, this is my question: why does a European games site use the American format for dates?
svearike

Message(s) : 19

Re: Date format on games

Message par covadis » 10 Juin 2019 9:05

svearike a écrit :There has been no activity ib any of my games for a few days, so I decided to check the dates for time-out. One of them had time-out on the 7th of May 2019 - then the penny dropped: it was 07/05/2019, which, in the American manner of giving the date is the 5th of July 2019. Most countries use the notation day/month/year for dates and it is only the US that uses the month/day/year format (at least that is my understanding). So, this is my question: why does a European games site use the American format for dates?

It is probably because you are in the english version, and now, english power is in USA :mrgreen: :boulet:
covadis

Message(s) : 3539

Message par Kvík » 01 Mai 2020 14:55

I think exactly the same, this date format is misleading and should be abolished. Please, change to ISO8601 (YYYY-MM-DD), the correct date format :wink:
Kvík

Message(s) : 6

Message par diplojak » 01 Mai 2020 15:35

ok, changed for english language. I still have to deal with the vacation form, but as we used a calendar, it should be ok.

for Germany, the format we use is DD.MM.YYYY (thanks to of one my german translators, I don't remember which one). Do I change this too for YYYY-MM-DD?

pour la France, le format est jj/mm/AAAA. est-ce que je change aussi pour AAAA-MM-JJ?
diplojak
Administrateur

Message(s) : 7247

Message par Piano » 01 Mai 2020 18:15

diplojak a écrit :pour la France, le format est jj/mm/AAAA. est-ce que je change aussi pour AAAA-MM-JJ?

On devrait garder cela comme tel.
Piano
Modérateur

Message(s) : 6927

Message par Kvík » 01 Mai 2020 20:43

I think for French and German you should conform to how dates are usually written in these languages. If you had a "USA" locale, then it should be "MM/DD/YYYY" there indeed.

But since English is the "default" language of the internet, I would say it is best to use the international standard, which is unambiguous :-)
Kvík

Message(s) : 6

Retour vers English forum